Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2011 Some Important Questions from Dermatologist

Dermatologist
Dr Shah Hussain

Q: I'm 21 and I have been dealing with a severe dandruff problem for the past three years. I wash my hair every alternate day. I have even tried hair spas and different home-made packs, but nothing has helped me get rid of the dandruff completely. It vanishes for a while but always returns. Currently, I am using a scalp solution, as prescribed by a doctor. Will these help me with my dandruff problem or do I need to use other products? Beenish
A: 
Dandruff could occur due to a hormonal imbalance or even stress. Infections, scalp injuries, faulty diet and excessive use of hair cosmetics like sprays and gels can also cause dandruff. Wash your hair and scalp frequently – daily or every other day – depending on how stubborn your dandruff is. Use a shampooEXPERT ADVICEwith zinc pyrythione and ketoconazole. Do not take hot showers. Apply a solution containing salicylic acid to release the scales. Don't apply oil frequently. For persistent dandruff, you may have to consult a dermatologist, as you could be suffering from seborrhoeic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis.
Q: My heels often crack despite the use of several creams. Please suggest a remedy. Misha
A: 
You need to give your feet daily care. Soak your feet in warm water for a few minutes at bedtime. You may add some oil-free cleansing lotion or salt to the water. Scrub with a mild loofah and apply thick moisturising cream containing super fatty acids, squalene and urea. If possible, wear cotton socks all the time. Frequent washing of feet will rip the moisture away from the skin. Try and avoid detergents and harsh soaps. Moisturise well every time you wash your feet.
Q: I have a lot of blackheads on my nose. I used to use strips, but stopped when I heard that they aggravate the problem. Now I get them removed during monthly cleanups, but they keep coming back. Is there a permanent or long-lasting solution to this? Urooj
A:
 Blackheads are a secretion of the sebaceous glands present in the skin. There may not be a permanent cure, but you can reduce them by application of creams such as a 2.5 per cent benzoyl peroxide or adapalene gel on alternate nights. Use a facewash with salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is a good exfoliant and will remove the excess skin cells on the surface of the pore, so that they don't build up in the pores. Do not try to remove them on your own, as you may end up either with marks or an infection. You could get the blackheads removed once in a month at a cosmetic clinic. Another option is a monthly session of microdermabrasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment